To fulfill its mission to provide information to the public, the Carroll and Madison Library System Libraries provide free public access to the Internet.
The Internet is a global, digital network with no centralized control over its users or content. Information on the Internet may be reliable and current or it may be inaccurate, out-of-date, or unavailable at times. The Library cannot be responsible for its content.
As with other library materials, restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent/guardian. The Internet may contain material that is inappropriate for viewing by children. The Library Staff cannot monitor and supervise children’s use of the Internet.
Displaying, sending or receiving material inappropriate for viewing in a public place is prohibited by Arkansas Code 5-68-205. Inappropriate material is defined as pictures or text which could reasonably be construed as obscene pornographic, as defined by Arkansas State Code 5-68-302. First offense for such viewing will result in one year suspension of patron’s library services at all Carroll and Madison County Libraries. Upon second offense patron will be banned from all Carroll and Madison County Libraries for life.
Patrons must note:
- Starting any computer application or software on the Library’s computers signifies agreement with the Library’s rules for computer use.
- Library staff can assist with basic computer use as time allows.
- Library staff cannot help prepare taxes or legal documents.
- Computer users may not install or use any software not installed by the library.
- Attempts to damage computer equipment or alter computer configuration are unacceptable uses of the Library’s electronic resources.
- If Internet searching results in disruption of library services or if patron behavior when using Internet resources becomes inappropriate for a library setting, the Library reserves the right to end the session.
- Computer and Internet use is not restricted from patrons with fines or fees.
The Library may deny or withhold computer, Internet or even library access privileges for infractions of these policies. In accordance with Arkansas State Code 13-2-103(a)(3), the Carroll and Madison Library System Libraries require all users to signify their agreement with its policy before accessing the Internet at any Library public access computer.